"Rohan combines all the elements of basic fantasy -- a young hero, mentors, villains, something to be saved, special powers and, of course, magical creatures -- with great storytelling that appeals to a wide audience." KIRKUS REVIEWS


Sunday, May 12, 2013

My visit to Butler Elementary School in Bedford, QC

On April 30, 2013 I visited Butler Elementary School in Bedford where I met with two Secondary 1 classes (equivalent to Grade 7).

Ms. Blinn's class had read up to the part where Jack enters the attic, so I continued reading from there. Before that, though, I talked to them about the writing process and specifically about how I came to write "Weaverworld: Grimsnipe's Revenge". The students asked some great questions and, as always, were a little shocked to hear that it took me 10 years to go from having no book at all to having three books in draft manuscript form. I explained to them that the hard work really begins when the first draft is done. Editing and rewriting is the hardest part of the job but can also be the most rewarding, especially when you see something you thought was okay getting better and better!


 
Then I moved on to Ms. Soule's Secondary 1 class. They had only had a chance to read the first chapter, so it was fun to catch them up on the action in Granny's attic. With both classes I emphasized that when writing a story the most important thing to concentrate on is character development. I explained how I began writing my book by writing biographies of my characters so that I knew them very well even before I started. By taking the time to go through this process the writer develops an emotional connection to his or her characters which comes through in the book.



Thank you once again to the teachers and students at Butler Elementary for inviting me to come and speak about "Weaverworld". As I told the students, Book Two is in the second rewrite stage now. If all goes well it should be ready for the book shelves by August this year. The title for the moment (and this may change!) is "Weaverworld: Quest for the Eagle-eye Amulet".

JKR
May 11, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment